CRL win contract to repair and restore iconic London building
Cullum Welch House is a residential block of 72 single level studio flats owned by The City of London. It was built between 1958-61 and forms part of the Golden Lane Estate, adjacent to the Barbican
Estate and has a Grade II listing for special architectural and historic interest; namely it's reputation as a self sufficient 'urban village' and charecteristic layout.
In 2012 a condition survey and investigation was carried out which revealed that certain externally exposed reinforced concrete elements of the building were showing significant damage caused by reinforcement corrosion. After approval by the City of Londpn's Projects Sub-Committee a tender was issued in 2108, with Concrete Repairs Limited being awarded the contract in June 2019.
This works comprised of two aspects; namely (A) Concrete Remedials & Repairs work to existing elements of the building and (B) Replacement of concrete balustrades. Section A scope included repairs to damaged concrete planters and other precast elements to the South Façade including the staircase to north elevation and all exposed beams and slab edges. Section B comprised of the removal of concrete balustrade sections (and any brickwork that was required to facilitate same) and replacement with new concrete balustrades and brickwork.
The works consisted mainly of the following;
- produce all drawings & other necessary documents for the design, approval, construction & maintenance,
- management of existing tenants (including ensuring safe & appropriate access to the flats at all times),
- undertake intrusive and destructive surveys (to ascertain the detailed requirements of the LBC & to develop the detailed design proposals for procurement & construction),
- design & installation of access works,
- concrete repairs and coatings,
- removal, manufacture & replacement of the concrete balustrades
"Working on this project was really a pleasure; the tennants were helpful and accomodating, bearing in mind the disruption we caused, and the client was one of the best we have worked for."
Patrick Smyth | Senior Site Agent | CRL