Thackley End is comprised of 4 blocks of apartments located at 119 Banbury Road in the Summertown area of Oxford which is a predominantly residential area. The blocks are of concrete construction with communal external stairwells (with glazed panels) and covered walkways. All blocks have flat roofs and private balconies to the rear.
The works involved the removal of an existing anti-carbonation coating to the surfaces of the blocks followed by the carrying out of the specified concrete repairs where necessary as a result of carbonation and previous failing repairs. Once repaired, a new anti-carbonation paint system was applied.
CRL undertook the following activities:
- established site, offices, stores and welfare units
- organised and managed the delivery and erection of scaffolding and use of MEWPs to access works
- application of KEIM paint striper STS 7M to the external concrete and pressure wash to remove existing coating
- removal of defective construction / building joints and replacement with new ones
- ancillary spot repairs to the building fabric
- removal of defective concrete
- repair of defective concrete
- application of KEIM anti-carbonation coating to all external concrete surfaces
- application of multi-seal self-adhesive to the building joints as instructed